A unique feature of the Academy is our own 1,800 metre runway, where you will do all your in-flight training. Its direction and designation is South East/North West 29-11 and is capable of accommodating over 400 flights a day.
Its key features are:
- ILS (Instrument Landing System) CAT I approach runway lighting system
- RNP RNAV/GPS Approaches
- PAPI Precision Approach Path Indicators at both ends of the runway
Following international standards, the runway also incorporates crucial markings including:
- Runway centreline
- Runway edge light and line
- Threshold markings
- Transverse strip and arrow markings for displaced threshold
- Runway designation characters
- Distance coding markers
- Aiming point
- Runway end lights
- Wind direction/speed indicators system and lit windsock
The Academy’s taxiway is over 100 meters wide, incorporating crucial markings including:
- Taxiway centreline markings
- Taxiway edge markings and lighting
- Intermediate holding position markings and lighting
- Stop bar and runway guard markings and lighting
The main building features 36 interactive classrooms equipped with software designed by Boeing specifically for EFTA, while our flight operations centre provides cadets with complete hands-on training with the latest equipment and technology.
EFTA’s fleet of 27 aircraft undergoes maintenance in the hangar, large enough to accommodate three Olympic-size swimming pools. This state-of-the-art facility houses the following services:
- Paint shop
- Aircraft wash bay area
- Sheet metal and composite workshop
- Mechanical/hydraulic workshop
- Avionics/battery workshop
- Spare parts store room
- Technical library/briefing and conference rooms
A Private Air Traffic Control Tower
We are the world’s only institution with an Air Traffic Control Tower (ATCT) of its own. This fully functioning airside nerve-centre is able to monitor, direct and manage all the Academy’s ground, departure and arrival movements, as well as circuit pattern traffic.
A Rescue And Fire Fighting Service Facility
The safety of everyone at the Academy is our first and foremost concern. A dedicated Rescue & Fire Fighting Service (RFFS) is stationed at Dubai World Central airport nearby and complies with the International Commercial Airline Organisation (ICAO) standard category.